Author Interview with Julie Shackman

 

Today I am really happy to welcome Julie Shackman on my blog. She recently published her debut novel Rock My World (more information down the bottom)

Get in touch with Julie Shackman on
Twitter
Facebook

Welcome to my blog Julie Shackman. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

Thank you Isabell for interviewing me for your great website! Well, I trained as a journalist but I've always wanted to write for the romance genre. When I'm not reading books or drafting one (!) I write verses and captions for greetings card companies. I'm married with two sons and live in Scotland.

You recently released your first novel “Rock my World”. How was your publishing journey?

Like many writers, a pretty long one! It has involved lots of reading; lots of writing; querying and submitting to literary agents and publishers. I received a lot of great feedback about my work, but just had to persevere. I think writers have to be a pretty determined bunch!


What inspired you to write the story?

I'm a huge music fan (I love rock especially) and the idea just formed out of that. I always have to listen to music when I'm writing. It seems to help me.

What can readers expect from the story?

I think they can expect laughter, passion, tears and nostalgia. There are also a lot of musical references to the big rock anthems of the 1980s, which I hope readers can relate to.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

As I say, I love music so listening to my favourite bands and artists is heaven for me. I'm really into the likes of Bon Jovi; Lissi; Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks. I've always got a book on the go as well and don't feel right if I'm not reading something. I also like going for long walks and watching films, especially rom-coms.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Oh my goodness! What a question! There are so many writers that I love but I really admire Sophie Kinsella, Wendy Holden and Jenny Colgan.

What kind of books are you reading?

I'm currently reading "Gifted & Talented" by Wendy Holden, which is fab. I just love the contemp romance/chick-lit genres but also enjoy Wilbur Smith and Jodi Picoult.

While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

Yes sometimes I did feel as though I was almost morphing into my protagonist Ruby Cameron! On occasion, I felt like Ruby was showing signs of being me as well, which was great but a bit odd! She really did become like a friend.


Do you ever experience writer's block?


Yes, often! If I feel it creeping up on me, I try to go for a walk, play some music or read something. That seems to help in the end.


What is next for you?

Well, I've just written my second novel (a rom-com) and am polishing that at the moment. I've also started compiling research for my third novel (also a rom-com).

Debut Novel Rock My World

Ruby Cameron is an ambitious reporter for a local paper where she is fed scraps of news, and lives with a man whose “idea of living dangerously is to leave the heating on when we pop out to the shops”. But after catching her squeaky clean boyfriend in flagrante delicto she ups sticks and moves into her own small home, only to discover the ghostly presence of a cheeky rock star who becomes her confidant as the dynamics of her small town, and her feelings about her dashing new boss, begin to throw up more questions than she can answer. Will Ruby discover who she really is, and perhaps more importantly, who she wants to be?


Buy this on Amazon UK or Amazon US


0 Kommentare