Friends Friday: Amanda of Adventures from the Bookshelf

I’m very happy to welcome you on my blog! You can please introduce yourself to my readers.

My names Amanda, I’m a twenty-something media graduate who loves blogging. I fell in love with the written word from a very young age, and since have always had my head in a book, or a pen in my hand. I also love films, poetry and music. Storytelling is a large part of my interests.

Where do we find your blog and how long have you been blogging / reviewing?

You can find my blog at http://adventuresfromthebookshelf.blogspot.co.uk and there you can find links to all my other social media outlets such as Twitter and Bloglovin.

I’ve been blogging on-and-off for roughly three years, however, I couldn’t stick to one topic or one blog, so I was constantly restarting and deleting old blogs. I’ve only been blogging about books for a couple of weeks now, and I must say I’m loving it. To stop me getting into the same old on-again-off-again routine with blogging I set myself a reading challenge for the year, you can find out more about that here (http://adventuresfromthebookshelf.blogspot.co.uk/p/book-challenge.html)

I’ve also been so overhwelmed by the book blogger community. On my first day of my blog being live I’d made so many new friends on Twitter and blogger, and speak to some of the same people of a daily basis! You’ve all made me feel so very welcome!



Why did you start blogging?

I started blogging initially because I was studying media and communication for my degree, and wanted to become a journalist. Blogging was a fast and easy way to get my writing out there, but now I write for pure enjoyment. I also love the community that comes with blogging, and the fact that my articles drum up conversations.
What’s the best and worst thing about being a book reviewer?


The best thing about being a book blogger is that I have an excuse to read all of the books I’ve got on hold. I also get to write, which is a passion of mine. So combining two of my favourite things seemed like a perfect idea.

I can’t say there’s a “worst” thing about blogging, not that I’ve encountered any yet, anyway. :)


Last page: read it first or wait till the end?

WAIT. TIL. THE. END! And stay away from Google as well!

Do you judge a book by it’s cover?

Sometimes, I wrote a post about this actually. I love a beautifully designed book. The clothbounds are my favourite. But I also think there’s a lot of charm in the old, worn out second hand books. But for me to buy one, I’d have to have heard of it before. But generally, no, but I do have a big soft spot for books that will look good on a bookshelf!


Which book character would you switch places with?

As cheesy at it sounds, I don’t think I’d like to switch places with anyone, but I’d love to be Alice from Alice’s Adentures in Wonderland for a day. Or Wendy from Peter Pan. I’d love the experience of being a child going on a magical adventure.

Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?


Definitely Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. The film is so captivating and wonderful, whereas I found the book quite hard to read. I’m going to reread it at some point, but I definitely enjoyed the film more.

What is your current read, your last read and the book you'll read next?

My current read: This is Where I Leave You by Jonathon Tropper
Last read: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Book I’ll (probably) read next: A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

It depends on the book. For fictional novels, I like paperback. I love a hardback when it’s a classic literature novel. And ebooks for a lengthy book (I find that I read books quicker on my kindle...) or a book I’m unsure about, so I’ll buy it on my Kindle first, and then if I really like it, I’ll usually end up buying the book version. I don’t discriminate. I love ALL the books! Haha.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I have a fascination with the 1920’s, and F Scott Fitzgerald is my favourite author. I would have adored to meet him. But alas, I’m just going to have to make do with watching his potrayal in the Woody Allen film Midnight in Paris (Gosh, him and Zara seemed fun in that film! I would have loved to have partied with them!)

Other than that, probably Nick Hornby or Danny Wallace.


Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?


My boyfriend and I are always buying each other books, or borrowing each others, or giving each other Waterstones gift vouchers. But the first books we lent each other were Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. Those two books will always remind me of the beginning of our relationship. :)

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions Amanda. It was great to have you on my blog! Who will be next? Come and see next friday.



0 Kommentare